We are committed to maximising the unique opportunity to transform Brimbank by working with Government and key stakeholders to deliver generational community outcomes from the current major infrastructure investment program in the Sunshine Priority Precinct.
To help guide this, Council adopted, the Sunshine Priority Precinct Vision 2050 which outlines a shared future vision for the precinct, to transform the working class area into a 21st century city.
Following the release of the initial plans of Melbourne Airport Rail in June 2021, we launched a community petition calling on the State Government to:
- reconsider its plans for a flyover, and adopt a staged-approach to delivering Airport Rail by initially utilising existing at-grade tracks, in doing so allowing time to properly plan for the:
- redevelopment of Sunshine Station into a regional super hub
- reconstruction of Albion Station into a fit-for-purpose public transport interchange that complements and celebrates the heritage value of the Darling Flour Mill
- integration of both stations into the surrounding precincts in a way that unlocks development opportunities, most notably within the Albion Quarter
- delivery of long-term rail commitments made in the Western Rail Plan, such as the electrification of the Melton and Wyndham.
In September 2021, Council endorsed the ‘Transforming Brimbank, Let’s Build it Better Together’ advocacy objectives and launched a community campaign. The advocacy priorities articulates the shared Council and community vision for the Sunshine Station precinct including the:
- redevelopment of Sunshine Station into a regional Superhub
- reconstruction of Albion Station into a fit-for-purpose public transport interchange with improved amenity and integration to its surroundings, and
- integration of both stations into the surrounding precincts in a way that unlocks development opportunities.
Since then we have been working closely with the Victorian Government to progress major projects that will help transform Sunshine into the powerhouse of Melbourne’s west.
The Victorian Government announced in October 2022, the planned $80 million rebuild of Albion Station will replace the existing derelict station into a modern and accessible station.
Later that month, the Victorian Government released the Sunshine Station Precinct Masterplan and announced it would invest $143 million to deliver the first stage of the Masterplan, as part of the Melbourne Airport Rail project.
The development of the Sunshine Precinct is a landmark project that has the capacity to reinvent Brimbank as a thriving economic centre, unlocking jobs now and for future generations for people across western Melbourne.
The first stage of works will include:
- A new bus interchange
- A new station plaza and entrance
- New shared user paths and open space
- New pick up / drop off areas
- Creation of a development site; and
- Intersection upgrades around the bus interchange.
For more information on the Melbourne Airport Rail visit Victoria's Big Build.