In February 2022 we asked you to consider 2 options for the future design of Derrimut Street, Albion.
Both options created slower and greener streetscape. They also meet the aims of our:
Your preferred concept plan
Option 2 was narrowly voted the preferred option.
Feedback showed a strong preference to keep 2-way traffic on Derrimut and Lawson streets. This was not included in the initial design options.
How the preferred concept has changed
The initial concepts proposed cyclists would share the road with vehicles. But Brimbank’s new gender equity guidelines requires either:
- a protected bike lane. This would result in loss of parking on at least 1 side of Derrimut Street, or
- an off-road shared user path.
We’ve updated the plan based on these requirements and your feedback to include:
- an off-road shared user path. It is wide enough to allow for pedestrians and cyclists. And designed to avoid removal of large mature trees
- raised pedestrian threshold at the corner of Derrimut Street and Adelaide Street. This is to allow for people to safelycross the road safely
- a pocket park at the intersection of Derrimut and Lawson streets. With traffic calming and tree planting
- another narrow point on Derrimut Street. This is to slow traffic speeds and allow for more tree planting.
The upgrade works are planned for the 2022-2023 financial year.